Laser Eye Surgery Claims
When laser eye surgery or lens replacement surgery goes wrong it can have a devastating effect, and if you have suffered loss as a result of laser eye surgery in the UK, we can help you to bring a claim for compensation.
We have a specialist eye injury team who deal with such cases day in day out across the UK, we can bring claims against even the biggest high street practitioners including Optical Express, Optimax, Ultralase, Optegra and Accuvision. Our lawyers can settle your claim efficiently whilst obtaining the maximum compensation owed to you, thanks to our expertise in dealing with insurers and building a strong case on behalf of our clients.
Making a Laser Eye Surgery Claim
We understand that making a claim following negligent laser or lens replacement eye surgery may seem daunting, but we will make the process as straightforward as possible for you. When you get in contact with our team, we will take the time to understand what happened fully. After an initial consultation, our solicitors will then be able to advise you as to whether your claim has a good chance of succeeding and also whether we can work with you on a no-win, no fee basis. There is no obligation to continue with your claim at this stage.
Most claims are settled outside of the courtroom, and we will build a strong case on your behalf and negotiate fiercely with the other party’s insurers to ensure you receive the maximum compensation owed to you. Our team are supportive and understanding, and we will be here for you throughout the process of bringing your claim.
Lack of Informed Consent
If your practitioner has failed to properly inform you of the risks involved in having laser or lens replacement eye surgery, or where they failed to let you know about alternative treatment options available to you, you may be able to bring a claim even if they did everything correctly during and after the procedure. This is known as a lack of informed consent.
What Can Give Rise to a Claim for Negligence During Laser Eye Surgery?
Laser eye surgery claims can be complicated. There are many circumstances and complications which may amount to medical negligence. We routinely assist clients where the following has happened:
- Where the surgery provider has not taken into account an existing eye condition such as dry eyes, or keratoconus
- Where you are an unsuitable patient for the surgery, but it has been carried out anyway. You might be unsuitable for example if your corneas were too thin to allow surgery to be performed safely
- Where the surgeon was negligent during surgery eg by failing to centre the laser correctly, or by failing to take into account the size of your pupils.
- Where the surgeon has failed to consider the pre-surgery eye prescription
- Where the practitioner was not qualified to carry out the surgery
- Where the practitioner failed to tell you about the risks and alternatives to the surgery
- Where the aftercare fell below an acceptable standard
- Where a mistake is made in diagnosing a condition
- Where there is a delay in recognising and treating a condition
What Types of Injury Can I Make a Claim For?
We often help clients to bring a claim where they suffer the following complications:
- Full or partial vision loss
- Loss of visual acuity (loss of near vision or loss of distance vision)
- Loss of quality of vision
- Blurry, greasy or waxy vision
- Visual disturbances such as glare, haloes and starburst, ghosting and double vision.
- Dry eye disease
- Painful eyes with feeling of foreign body in the eye, grittiness or excessive eye watering
- Corneal neuralgia, corneal neuropathy
- Poor night vision
- Inability to drive at night
- Loss of contrast perception
- Retinal detachment
- Eyelids drooping
- Double vision that does not go away
- Sensitivity to light (photophobia)
How Much Could I Claim?
We will explore every way in which you have suffered loss and may continue to suffer loss in the future. We pride ourselves on getting clients the compensation they deserve and will include each of the following in your claim where appropriate:
- Compensation for your injury
- Past loss of earnings & future loss of earnings
- Reclaiming the cost of your unsuccessful surgery
- Private medical treatment costs
- Transport costs
- Out of pocket expenses such as glasses, sunglasses, eye drops, pain medication or transport to medical appointments
- Assistance and care provided by family members as a consequence of your injury
Contact Us Today
We have a team who deal with these cases regularly across the UK, bringing claims against laser eye surgery providers such as Optical Express, Ultralase, Optimax, Optegra and Accuvision. We understand the impact your injury may have had on your life and the lives of your loved ones, and we will fight to get you the maximum compensation you are owed.
Call us on 01252 354 433 if you would like to contact us online please complete our enquiry form. We’re here to help.